World Rugby only select companies with a proven track record of experience and expertise in installing rugby fields for the Preferred Turf Producer programme. New applicants are invited to apply every 2 years and the application process is open to any company that fulfills the qualifying criteria. These criteria include but are not restricted to:
- A proven track record in installing Regulation 22 compliant fields, that is at least 5 fields currently compliant with at least 3 of them having undergone successful retests 2 years after installation and one successfully after 4 years
- At least fields installed that comply with the FIFA and/or FIH quality programmes requirements.
- Fields installed in at least 3 different World Rugby Member Unions and 2 different Regions
- A full-time in-house civil engineering capacity that reviews all installation designs.
- In-house tufting and manufacturing, if not in place then full quality control of the manufacturing process must be retained.
The application process is robust and based on merit alone. New members are not taken on every year, the opening of applications for membership does not guarantee that companies will be successful in achieving PTP status.
PTP membership may not be for all companies, and World Rugby recognise this, the ability to achieve a Regulation 22 compliant field is not limited to PTPs. Any manufacturer who complies with a laboratory tested product can achieve a compliant field with that product.